Kate Schafer is a senior healthcare technology executive with more than 20 years experience spanning software development to senior management, including technology strategy, web and mobile products and internal information systems.
Kate’s technology experience includes several start-ups and a successful IPO. She’s as comfortable in the bullpen with the IT team as she is presenting to the Board. Her technical expertise includes software development (web and mobile), database and data warehouse systems, business intelligence and system integrations. She excels at taking early stage start-ups to maturity by designing systems and processes that scale.
As HIPAA Compliance Officer for Epocrates, Kate became intimately familiar with the regulations associated with protecting health care information, including the HIPAA Security and Privacy rules and the HITECH Act. She oversaw the secure infrastructure design for Epocrates’ EHR and designed and implemented internal controls, policies and procedures to ensure the safety and integrity of patient data.
- CHP (Certified HIPAA Professional)
- CSCS (Certified Security Compliance Specialist)
- HCISPP (Healthcare Information Security and Privacy Practitioner)
As a member of a number of technology and health care industry groups, Kate participates actively in healthcare technology and compliance discussions.
- HCCA (Health Care Compliance Association)
- ISSA (Information Systems Security Association)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- The Institute of Electronical and Elecronics Engineers (IEEE)
- The Data Warehouse Institute (TDWI)
- The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology (ABI)
- The Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- The Collaborative Health Consortium (CHC)